Re: Reserve copies

Daniel Donnelly (d-donn@tc.umn.edu)
Thu, 5 Oct 95 10:44:44 -0500

At 06:32 PM 10/4/95 -0700, you wrote:

>The reserve issue sorta depends on the nature of stuff which is being put on
>reserve.
>
>Illegal copies or excerpts are, of course, verbotten (always).
>
>Legally acquired home video -- I'd say iffy
>
>Rented home video -- also very iffy
>
>Stuff with performance rights -- OK.
>
>Gary Handman
>UCB

Gary and all,

Can anyone expand a bit on "iffy". I imagine there are certain uses of home
videos that are not allowed but what might be the if conditions that make
home videos useable in a reserve access environment?

I allow authorized (not dubs) home videos and rented home videos to be
deposited by teachers or departments for course reserves. I restrict use to
in-building, individual viewing, no group or classroom presentation. I've
always felt comfortable doing this but now I feel "iffy".

As for off-air dubs, Jane Hutchison's question about unknown air dates is
one that's been troubling me too, a bit. Or a variation of Jane's question.
With respect to the idea that there is a window of time available for use of
off-air dubs, (something like 10 consecutive class days from air date and
then another 30 or 40 days during which the dub may be retained for
evaluation by teachers but not presented to students) what is considered the
air date in cases of broadcast re-runs? Say PBS runs a Ken Burns series
during April of 1995 and then your local PBS affiliate re-runs the following
October, can the April air date be considered to have extended to October? I
guess simply put, is a re-run air date a new air date that gives another
opportunity to dub and use for instruction? Seems to me that it is but I'd
like to know what others think.

Additionally, how do we confirm air dates? When a teacher tells me that some
episode of Frontline was aired last Monday, must I check a programming
schedule to verify that could be so? With cable and satellite bringing so
much programming to homes and school media services are we expected to be
able to confirm and verify air dates?

I've taken the approach that I can't be expected to confirm air dates so I
accept the depositor's stated air date and use the 10 consecutive class days
plus 30 - 40 day retention.

Daniel Donnelly, Library Manager
University of Minnesota Libraries
Learning Resources Center