Re: 16mm withdrawals

Lisa Renee Wood (lrw@sils.umich.edu)
Tue, 3 Oct 1995 18:17:26 -0400 (EDT)

Ms. Locke-Gagon and Videolib,

I would like to encourage everyone who is thinking about getting rid of
their 16mm (or any other size for that matter) film to consider donating
your collection to a film archive. While this is not as profitable as
selling the films in a Friends Booksale or to random companies, your
films might make a valuable addition to a film archive trying to enrich
their collection. Film archives and some stock footage houses are in the
business of preserving old films, providing access to the films on a
national basis and making them available for historical and social
research. Here are a few ideas of places you can contact about getting
rid of your old films.

AMIA-L: A listserv for Moving Image Archivists. This is a very good
place to advertise your withdrawing of films. It's very likely that if
you post the kinds of films in your collection and your requirements for
donating the films, someone will reply to you who is interested in the
films. AMIA-L includes all kinds of moving image archivists from
academic to stock footage to television archives. To send mail to the
AMIA-L list, email to: AMIA-L@ukcc.uky.edu

To subscribe to the AMIA-L list: send the message Subscribe name AMIA-L
with no subject to listserv@ukcc.uky.edu

There are directories and sourcebooks that have lists of film archives in
them. Reruns on File: A Guide to Electronic Media Archives, compiled by
Donal G. Godfrey is one of the directories on our shelves.

Other places to start:

If you have factual films to donate, contact the American Archives of the
Factual Film, Iowa State University Library, Ames, IA 50011-2140.
Contact: Glenn McMullen Phone: (515) 294-6672.

There are always local or nearby archives that might be interested, for
example, in Ohio there are archives at the various universities such as
the Popular Culture Library at Bowling Green, University Archives at
Columbus, the John Carroll Broadcast Archives in University Heights and
state and city historical archives, such as the Cincinnati Historical
Society.

For some larger national archives you could try:

The UCLA Film and Television Archives, The Library of Congress, the
National Center for Film and Video Preservation (The American Film
Institute) and the Wisconsin Center for Film and Theater Research in
Madison.

Your best bet is to start with AMIA-L, even if its just to ask for other
resources or directories of film archives.

Lisa

Lisa R. Wood lrw@alumni.sils.umich.edu