Re: [Videolib] Need a word

From: Jaeschke, Myles <>
Date: Thu Dec 31 2009 - 12:29:46 PST

Hi John,
As a former projectionist I can tell you we often referred to them as "snipes" but the word trailer works for them as well. You may be interested in this article that describes their evolution in further detail and in fact also uses the term snipe.

Myles Jaeschke
Tulsa City-County Library System
Media Collections

From: [] On Behalf Of John Streepy
Sent: Thursday, December 31, 2009 2:05 PM
Subject: [Videolib] Need a word

Hello collected wisdom that could not get out of work on the holiday,

this is kind of a follow up to the let's all go to the lobby discussion. What are those vintage spots between movies called? Do they even have a name? Of course the coming attractions are trailers, but what about the thing that says Coming Attractions. I thought "title card", but they often have an animated background. You know the ones that would say feature presentation or intermission or the let's all go to the lobby film. Thanks for the help

Happy New year All


John H. Streepy
Media Services Supervisor
Library-Media Circulation
James E. Brooks Library
Central Washington University
400 East University Way
Ellensburg, WA 98926-7548

(509) 963-2861

"Hand to hand combat just goes with the territory.
All part of being a librarian" -- James Turner "Rex Libris"

Transitus profusum est nocens!

VIDEOLIB is intended to encourage the broad and lively discussion of issues relating to the selection, evaluation, acquisition,bibliographic control, preservation, and use of current and evolving video formats in libraries and related institutions. It is hoped that the list will serve as an effective working tool for video librarians, as well as a channel of communication between libraries,educational institutions, and video producers and distributors.
Received on Thu Dec 31 12:35:44 2009

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.8 : Wed Apr 07 2010 - 15:17:03 PDT