Re: [Videolib] cleaning dvds

From: Brigid Duffy <bduffy@sfsu.edu>
Date: Tue Dec 22 2009 - 14:05:51 PST

I don't work in our distribution office, but I think we clean discs
when the fingerprints interfere with playing. A soft cloth, maybe
water, always stroking radially rather than around the disc. Nothing
elaborate. Do not use lens cleaning papers; they contain silicates
that can scratch the DVDs.

We have also had good results with a DiscRepair Pro unit donated by
one of our staff. Follow the directions and DVDs that were scratched
and unplayable come out like new.

Neither of these are major problems, as our faculty members usually
know enough to keep the materials they need for class in good condition.

Hope this helps.

Brigid Duffy
Academic Technology
San Francisco State University