Re: [Videolib] FW: Institutional Version of Film Pane Amaro/Bitter Bread

From: Jessica Rosner <maddux2014@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Dec 21 2009 - 11:22:29 PST

Any legal copy of a film can be used in a class. I sympathize with
filmmakers who need the higher priced institutional copies to survive
( especially since I work part time for one) but the Amazon listing
should have been very clear and upfront about it. It is one thing to
say " we control all the distribution on our film and need the higher
price to break even on making great films" and something else to list
it as regular retail title and say it is illegal to use a copy in a
class. As I have said many times, if you control the entire market
for a film than you can have multi-tiered pricing BY CONTRACT but not
by law. Since many filmmakers now use Amazon as a way to get home
sales on titles which are otherwise not available in the home market
this is probably a difficult issue for them. It may be that Amazon
won't permit such language in their listings but again I think this
would come out better if the company just explained the financial &
contractual issues and did not claim it was a legal one.

I imagine someone here will suggest you or a faculty member could buy
a copy as an individual and get reimbursed. If you did it would not be
illegal but it would probably make it more difficult for independent
filmmakers to make their work available on Amazon. This is clearly not
a title available in the wider wholesale market because there is no
debate that once a company makes a film available to places like
Midwest Tape,
Baker & Taylor etc that cat is out of the bag and the only time you
need to pay a higher price is if you need PPR. This is more
complicated than that but I fully understand your frustration.