[Videolib] A Visit with Carl Sandburg

From: Sayre, J. Richard <RSAYRE@monm.edu>
Date: Fri Dec 18 2009 - 07:05:27 PST

I serve on the board for the Carl Sandburg Birthplace Historic Site in Galesburg, IL. We recently acquired a 16mm film (single perf w/ optical? audio) of NBC's A Visit with Carl Sandburg which ran on NBC in 1953 or 1954 as part of the "Conversations with Elder Wise Men" series. It appears to have been released by Encyclopedia Britannica Educational Corporation in 1958 as well. The University of Michigan appears to be the only library in WorldCat holding any format of this title and they own the Britannica version. We'd like to be able to convert this to DVD and use it within the historic site, etc.. We'd also like to verify that this has past into the public domain. Any suggestions? Seems odd to me that there aren't more of these still around...

Thanks,
Rick Sayre
Hewes Library
Monmouth College
Monmouth, IL

A Visit with Carl Sandburg references found:

http://www.afana.org/2001chrono.htm
A Visit with Carl Sandburg' (1953) 30m, dir. Martin Hoade. Between 1952 and 1956, NBC embarked on a wonderful series of interviews with aging giants of the art world, called 'Conversations with Elder Wise Men' (ciné16 has already programmed two of these, Frank Lloyd Wright and Wanda Landowska). Here, the animated, 75 year old poet waxes profoundly on Republicans and hangings, discusses his arrest for riding the rails, reads from "Phizzog" "A Couple", and Sliphorn Jazz", plays guitar & sings "The State of El-a-noy" and "Before I'd Be a Slave". His sincerest passion, however is for Abraham Lincoln, as he discusses his life, and the joys of writing the biography of his beloved president.

<http://www.afana.org/2001chrono.htm>WorldCat (http://www.worldcat.org)
There is only one library (U of Michigan) that has cataloged the 16mm film Visit with Carl Sandburg. According to the record in WorldCat this version appears to be produced or distributed by Encyclopedia Britannica Educational Corporation in 1958.

Database: WorldCat
Query: kw: carl and kw: sandburg and dt= "vis"
Visit with Carl Sandburg
1958
English Visual Material : Motion picture : Film 30 min. sd. b&w 16mm.
Encyclpd Britanica Educational Corporation,
Biographer of Lincoln plays his guitar and sings some folk songs; recalls adventures as a newspaper reporter; speaks of his interest and dedication to study of the life of Lincoln.
Get This Item Availability: Check the catalogs in your library.
Libraries worldwide that own item: 1
 Connect to the catalog at Hewes Library, Monmouth College
External Resources:
 Cite This Item
Title: Visit with Carl Sandburg Publication: Encyclpd Britanica Educational Corporation, Year: 1958 Description: 30 min. sd. b&w 16mm. Language: English Abstract: Biographer of Lincoln plays his guitar and sings some folk songs; recalls adventures as a newspaper reporter; speaks of his interest and dedication to study of the life of Lincoln. Note(s): Audience: Senior high through adult. Material Type: Film (mot) Document Type: Visual Material Entry: 19900508 Update: 19900508 Accession No: OCLC: 21490299 Database: WorldCat
J. Richard Sayre
Library Director
Hewes Library
Monmouth College