[Videolib] assistance in securing streaming rights

From: McKenzie, Rue <rmckenzie@lib.usf.edu>
Date: Thu Dec 17 2009 - 17:42:23 PST

I am starting to be inundated with faculty requests for streaming videos to support courses. We are currently trying all sorts of options including full collections, individual titles, and temporary rights for course reserves through Blackboard. Our infrastructure at this time will not support streaming video to the extent it is being sought after. We prefer to work with vendors that store/serve/maintain the content, and realize for the most part that rules out up front purchase of the programming. I'm seeing more and more vendors providing streaming rights information at the time of purchase, which is great.

My biggest need is the identification of the availability of streaming rights for individual titles (usually programs we already own in hard copy) , whether for short term reserve or permanent addition to the collection. Is anyone aware of a service that will secure and provide this information across vendors/distributors? It can be so time consuming to try to run down individual rights holders and determine costs and develop appropriate license agreements title by title.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Rue

Rue McKenzie
Coordinator of Media Collections
Academis Resources
University of South Florida, Tampa Library
813-974-6342
"An education isn't how much you have committed to memory, or even how much you know. It's being able to differentiate between what you know and what you don't."--Anatole France