[Videolib] Preservation/storage question

From: <ghandman@library.berkeley.edu>
Date: Wed Dec 16 2009 - 16:13:55 PST

Hi all...anyone got a good answer to this one (or AMIA contacts who would)?

We're getting reading to send a mess of lesser-used vhs tapes out to
storage in anticipation of moving into renovated facilities down the road.
 I'm a bit nervous about long-term storage in the paper boxes in which a
lot of this stuff came, but I don't want to toss the covers, which tend to
have useful info on them. What are the long-term preservation
implications of storing in paper? Or, what are the implications of
storing in plastic with excised back covers included inside? Probably
neither of the last two options is great...

Any ideas?

Gary

UC Berkeley

--Francois Truffaut