Re: [Videolib] Blu-ray versus Standard DVD

From: Jana Atkins <JAtkins3@uco.edu>
Date: Tue Dec 15 2009 - 14:49:02 PST

I don't have any Blu-Ray in my library and don't have plans to buy any in the near future.

At this point, I feel buying Blu-Ray isn't necessary unless you are buying it for special effects or visuals, and even so, you really need a good A/V setup to get the full effect - large TV, surround sound, the works. Frankly, Blu-Ray seems too expensive to be worth buying when a plain Jane DVD will do the job.

I also feel like Blu-Ray is going to be surpassed by our streaming options...assuming we could ever afford them...before Blu-Ray ever comes close to looking like the new standard. By the time Oklahoma is done with this recession, I probably won't have a media budget anyway (nyah). Moot point.

Jana Atkins, B.M., M.L.S.
Performing Arts/Multimedia Librarian
University of Central Oklahoma
Max Chambers Library