Re: [Videolib] Blu Ray versus DVD

From: Dennis Doros <milefilms@gmail.com>
Date: Tue Dec 15 2009 - 08:04:14 PST

And this is why I like James so much! My concern for the future (and did I
write this before) is that I or the archives I work with usually spend one
to four years restoring a film. And then I spend another 100+ hours on the
video master making sure it looks exactly like the day the director first
screened it. I know this is not as urgent a concern for educational
documentaries (and even this is an unfair statement), but I do think that
there are some films that could benefit from the better definition. I'm not
even suggesting that I bring out blu-rays of my past releases to sucker the
buyers into buying another useless format. But is it worth the extra money
to bring out blu-rays (instead of DVD since we can't afford to do both) of
future releases such as the short films of Vittorio de Seta. He's very
little known here, but back in the 1950s, he made some of the most
beautiful, color, cinemascope films ever.

Best,
Dennis