Re: [Videolib] Blu Ray versus DVD

From: John Streepy <John.Streepy@cwu.EDU>
Date: Mon Dec 14 2009 - 14:51:39 PST

The sales figures make me wonder if many people have just come to the time that they could replace their DVD players and are just hedging their bets because it is a win win situation, the blu-ray player will continue to play DVDs (and if they do have a large screen flat panel they play them quite nicely) and if blu ray does survive as a format then people have a machine to play them on. I plan on getting a Blu-ray player when my current machine dies, but I don't plan on wholesale replacing everything in my personal library (though I did buy Pixar's Up on Blu Ray but only because I got a DVD with it.)
that is my thoughts,
jhs

John H. Streepy
Media Services Supervisor
Library-Media Circulation
James E. Brooks Library
Central Washington University
400 East University Way
Ellensburg, WA 98926-7548

(509) 963-2861
http://www.lib.cwu.edu/media

"Hand to hand combat just goes with the territory.
All part of being a librarian" -- James Turner "Rex Libris"

Transitus profusum est nocens!

>>> Dennis Doros <milefilms@gmail.com> 12/14/2009 1:39 PM >>>
Well, it's obvious that no school media center really is into blu ray and not many public libraries are thrilled about it either. However, completely by coincidence, here's an article in the NY Times...

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/14/technology/14bluray.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=Blu%20ray&st=cse ( http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/14/technology/14bluray.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=Blu%20ray&st=cse )

It kind of makes you wonder if this is just a puff piece, if the individual consumer is going to ahead of the curve of the institutions, or if it's another laserdisc in the making. It's what can drive everybody crazy.

--
Best,
Dennis Doros
Milestone Film & Video/Milliarium Zero