Re: [Videolib] Blu-ray versus Standard DVD

From: Cartford, Peter, JCL <CartfordP@jocolibrary.org>
Date: Mon Dec 14 2009 - 08:25:15 PST

Something I posted to Publib a while back, in answer to a question similar to Dennis's:

Factors behind our decision not to purchase Blu-ray so far:

* A price difference of up to $10 more per disc for Blu-ray vs. DVD, and therefore,

* Budgetary considerations: there isn't enough money to meet demand for both DVD and Blu-ray, because of,

* Anticipated pressure from patrons to buy both DVD and Blu-ray if we get started on the format, in addition to,

* Ongoing uncertainty about the long-term viability of any format on 5-inch disc, which is reflected in,

* Blu-ray's limited market penetration so far and lack of acceptance as the undisputed successor to DVD.

If the studios force our hand ("get this on Blu-ray or not at all, buddy!") we'll go there, but not until then. Patron inquiries about the format are occasional and not insistent.

Peter Cartford
AV Librarian
Johnson County Library
9875 W. 87th St.