Re: [Videolib] video clips

From: Jessica Rosner <maddux2014@gmail.com>
Date: Thu Dec 10 2009 - 19:23:04 PST

Well as am sure many folks will remind you the 3 minute "rule" is just
a recommendation. " Fair Use " is really there for the specific
purpose of allowing folks to use portions of works to create a new
work. It may be that someone needs to use a 8 minute segment of
CITIZEN KANE to
discuss camera angles and in the context of course that really should
not be a problem. The whole purpose of Fair Use is to allow to use a
portion of a work to create a new one but there is an elephant in the
room. Under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act ONLY film classes
can use film clips, not any other discipline. Now this relates only to
DVDs or VHS that have anti-piracy protection but virtually all titles
put out by major studios and many others do have that technology.
There is no question that this is violated on a daily basis and is
frankly a pretty stupid law but it is in fact the law.