Re: [Videolib] video clips

From: Randal Baier <rbaier@emich.edu>
Date: Thu Dec 10 2009 - 19:01:23 PST

I'll go out on a limb here. I think that the COBRA or CORBA, or whatever
that "Safe Haven" vendor stimulated agreement is called, no wait ....
CONFU, recommendations, are really an agreement from Hades.

Can you imagine a 3-minute clip of the Rolling Stones live at Altamont?
It's just not viable! (Does anyone remember this infamous event?)

Or the wonderful, almost dreamy, ending of "I am the Walrus" on the
Magical Mystery Tour video? You have to play it for the full 7-10
minutes in order for it to work. Or for that matter the clip of a dog
walking across the screen on Weezer's video -- this has meaning. Why, of
all possible choices, is a golden retriever walking across the floor of
a video studio? Domestic transformation, innocent spirit, never knowing
ones time to die? These are issues that need to be viewed, voiced and
interrogated.

All these clips have some kind of meaning that tapped into or represent
the zeitgeist of the times (sorry for the redundancy)

So, I say, clip the clip I pray thee ... do what is necessary to
complete the lesson. And defend it to your admin types.

We worry too much!!

Best,
Randal Baier