[Videolib] Connections with James Burke

From: Amy Calhoun <acalhoun@saclibrary.org>
Date: Wed Dec 09 2009 - 13:25:58 PST

I would appreciate people's thoughts and opinions on the series Connections with James Burke. This is a title that my library owned on VHS and some staff have asked that it be replaced with the DVD version. Although the reviews are very good, I'm concerned that the material is going to be dated, particularly because the focus is on science and technology.

I also have similar concerns about the series Comos by Carl Sagan.

I know these are widely regarded as classics, but science is a field that advances quickly and books on the subject can quickly become obsolete. Is the treatment of the topics broad enough that I don't need to worry about this?

Is this series still a good investment for a public library?

Thanks for any feedback you can give me.

Amy Calhoun
Youth Services Librarian
North Natomas Library
acalhoun@saclibrary.org