Re: [Videolib] Question on Streaming Collections

From: <ghandman@library.berkeley.edu>
Date: Mon Dec 07 2009 - 11:01:38 PST

Hi Paul

These are complex questions--many without adequate answers at present. I
suggest that you take a look at the videolib archive at
http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/VideoLib/archive.html

This conversation has been taking place on the list for a couple of years
now.

Gary Handman

By the way: I'd bet two years salary (less furlough) that you're dead
wrong about predicting a 3-5 year time frame for total migration to
online. This may be for Hollywood features...everything else is totally
up in the air.

> Does anyone who has a large circulating video collection have any idea
> what they're going to be doing with these items, or how they are going to
> build and manage video collections in the future? Is there any
> alternative, given the speed of technological change and the inverse speed
> of bureaucratic change, to going about this haphazardly?
>
> In only 3-5 years, by my estimation, almost all moving image titles will
> be delivered wirelessly. It's not likely libraries, universities or
> professors will be able - or have permission - to digitize and distribute
> their already-owned media. Whole new licensing and delivery systems will
> need to be put in place.
>
> There are many vendors of streaming video out there, some with free
> services (like PBS Frontline) but they still represent only a tiny
> fraction of titles that exist, and of what specifically may be needed for
> a specific course. Not to mention feature films, which also enjoy many
> curricular uses....
>
> What will happen? Is it already happening? Does anyone have any
> experience with this, any plans or guidance?
>
> Are there any academic libraries that offer streaming media of commercial
> titles (not of their own video productions)? I know some public libraries
> do, for members. Do any such vendors even exist - a Netflix for
> institutions? How do they, or would they, work?
>
> Any feedback will be helpful. Thanks
>
> Paul B. Wiener
> Video Librarian
> Stony Brook UniversityVIDEOLIB is intended to encourage the broad and
> lively discussion of issues relating to the selection, evaluation,
> acquisition,bibliographic control, preservation, and use of current and
> evolving video formats in libraries and related institutions. It is hoped
> that the list will serve as an effective working tool for video
> librarians, as well as a channel of communication between
> libraries,educational institutions, and video producers and distributors.

UC Berkeley

--Francois Truffaut