Re: [Videolib] accession numbers

From: <ghandman@library.berkeley.edu>
Date: Mon Nov 23 2009 - 14:11:03 PST

We use accession numbers exclusively (i.e. not LC)

Our non-fiction tapes are numbered 1-9,999 and then we began a new
sequence: MM1 -- (the reason we did this was the unwieldly size of
numbers beyond 10,000)

So, for eg: Video/C 4000 or Video/C MM400 (which is the 10,4000th tape in
the collection...get it?)

Our fictional (i.e. feature film) tapes are numbered 999:1 --- so, for
eg Video/C 999:1000

Our DVDs go from 1-9,999 and then we renumbered and then we began a new
sequence X1 -- (so for eg DVD 1000 or DVD X100 (which is the 10,100th
piece in the collection)

OK?

gary

> I'm interested if any of you at your libraries use an accession number for
> organizing your media collection (DVD & VHS). How you are constructing
> your
> number scheme? Please reply off list, thanks!
>
> --
> Sebastian Derry
> Head, Media Services
> Temple University Libraries
> 1210 W. Berks Street | Philadelphia, PA 19122
> (p) 215-204-2778 | (f) 215-204-5201 | (e) sderry@temple.edu
> producers and distributors.

UC Berkeley

--Francois Truffaut