Re: [Videolib] Question for the LISTSERV

From: Jackson, Sandra F. <Jacksonsf@uncw.edu>
Date: Fri Nov 20 2009 - 14:41:20 PST

Hold a costume contest related to the movie. Also, encourage the kids to bring a specific movie or book prop. Years ago when we played Harry Potter, I promised to give a free kids sundae to any child who carrying a broom. We swept up! (Sorry, couldn't resist). We also put butterscotch and vanilla flavoring in Root Beer and called it "Butter Beer." The kids actually drank it and said they thought it was good. It helped that no one really knew what Butter Beer was supposed to taste like.

I was operating a restaurant/movie theater, so ice cream and root beer were easy to give away. At a library, it would be easier to serve popcorn. Glow sticks are also very popular with the youngsters and cheap if you buy in bulk from Oriental Trading Company and the like.

We showed successful movies for kids all the time, but we weren't a first-run theater. What ever you do, go over the top. That's how you get the attention of the parents and the kids.

Of course, interesting tricks can also work for college students. When we played Moulin Rouge last year, we inflated green balloons and put glow stick inside of them. At the beginning of the green fairy screen, we got behind the audience and dropped them on everyone as a surprise. The students were delighted!
Sandra F. Jackson
Film Program Coordinator
Lumina Theater & Sharky's Box Office
UNCW Presents
The University of North Carolina Wilmington
910.962.7971
jacksonsf@uncw.edu
http://www.uncw.edu/lumina