Re: [Videolib] Question for the LISTSERV

From: Dennis Doros <milefilms@gmail.com>
Date: Fri Nov 20 2009 - 07:00:56 PST

Dear Christina,

Well, first there's Twilight, Twilight or Twilight at least for the girls.
But violent or not (I've only seen 10 minutes of it on a plane and I kinda
liked it even.), here's some other ideas.

1) Don't announce the film. Have a mystery night where the films aren't
announced until they get there and it becomes the big secret. What are they
going to play tonight?
2) Make it a fan club kind of gathering or even work with a local fan club
(there's one for just about every movie) -- where people get to dress up.
3) Have some mother-daughter movie nights.
4) I'm not sure how big your town is (we only have one school for K-8), but
go to your local schools and give a presentation at the appropriate class.
Even work with the teacher(s) to coordinate a movie of a book they might be
reading in class. My 8th grader read The Outsiders and Pay it Forward this
year. (The former is a much better movie, but that's my opinion)
5) If the schools are putting on plays (usually musicals, and again in my
son's grade, it's Grease this year), show the movie working with the drama
teacher.
6) Get a local restaurant or bakeshop to donate free food for the attendees.
Pizza places are a likely place to donate especially if you mention them in
your publicity.
7) Have lunch with the local editor. (Okay, if you're in NYC, this is
unlikely) Express why this series is important to you and that they need to
cover your events. In smaller towns, they'll even let you write the piece
and you can state why they should come.
8) Start a Myspace and Facebook fan club for your movie site.
9) Have the school or town send a web blast to parents.
10) Make sure your equipment is good and the presentation is excellent. Just
about everybody has 50" TVs with surround sound so it's tough to get people
excited about a 20" monitor. Local stores might donate equipment for a sign
under the TV.
11) Giveaways. Local shops might be glad to promote their places.
12) Don't choose films that might be seen too much on basic cable like TNT
or USA. And push the boundaries. They don't have to be safe films. A library
is a good place for learning and discussing. Though I happen to hate
meaningless violent films as well.
13) Make it fun. Showbiz is entertainment and whether it's the Radio City
Music Hall in NY or an arts center in Dubuque, people have to feel like
they're welcome and you're happy they're there.

There's more ideas and I hope other librarians chip in since I think the
experience is as important as the film selection, but it's still early and I
haven't my second cup of coffee yet.

And I do like Patti's suggestion of Juno. You can even have a great
discussion afterwards. And to keep on the Page, Whip It would be a great
choice from what I hear.

Dennis
Milestone Film & Video

--