Re: [Videolib] Monitors vs. TVs in viewing areas

From: Delin, Peter <delin@zlb.de>
Date: Wed Nov 18 2009 - 08:56:11 PST

Yes, cumbersome is right, but if it works it's a good solution (made for
us by an expert). We use PCs since 5 years for our 8 viewing stations.
We took this solution because of the better picture quality (progressive
scan and 1080p, Monitor is Viewsonic VP231 - 23" 16:9). At a single
station you can use all formats (VHS PAL and NTSC, DVD dito with all
region codes and CD-Audio). The DVDROM-drive is region free and we use
the freeware Region Killer ("region killing" is legal in Germany)
http://www.softpedia.com/get/CD-DVD-Tools/CD-DVD-Rip-Other-Tools/DVD-Region-Killer.shtml

We have now added DVD Recorder / VCR Combos for VHS playback
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMR-ES35VS-Recorder-Combo-Input/dp/B000F4EJH6/
with its easy to use one touch copy button so people can burn DVD copies
while viewing the VHS (legal in Germany for private use).

For VHS playblack via the video card we use freeware software (DScaler
http://deinterlace.sourceforge.net). On the screen there is a simple
menu where you can choose VHS-PAL (DSacler for PAL), VHS-NTSC (DScaler
for NTSC) and DVD (Cyberlink PowerDVD and Zoom Player
http://www.inmatrix.com/zplayer/ which is rather comfortable to
navigate a DVD). VHS is upscaled to 1080p and its looks very nice. An
option for close caption is avaible for the respective cassettes. Sound
quality depends on the quality of the sound card and the headphones and
can be very good.

All handling is done by the computer mouse. You do not need any remote
control.

The viewing stations work by self-service but assistance nearby is
necessary. And sometimes you have to recover the software because not
all parts can be protected from misuse. This is a drawback for this
solution!

I wonder if the new Panasonic DMP-BD70V
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMP-BD70V-Blu-ray-Multimedia-Player/dp/B001VZ1W5U
wouldn't be more simple solution. It offers all 3 formats (VHS, DVD, Blu
ray) and excellent upscaling for VHS. But there is no PAL version
available and the Blu ray drive should be region free for Blu ray and
DVD. It's not available in Europe and that's a pity.

Peter

http://www.zlb.de/wissensgebiete/kunst_buehne_medien/videos
http://buecherei.netbib.de/coma/FilmSearch
http://dvdbiblog.wordpress.com/