Re: [Videolib] New topic: video borrowing policies, etc...

From: John Vallier <vallier@u.washington.edu>
Date: Mon Nov 16 2009 - 15:55:11 PST

Gary, Jen, et al:

So many interesting threads on videolib / so little time!

On the topic of borrowing or circulation policies...

Here in grey & rain-soaked Seattle (Univ. of Washington Libraries
Media Center) we spend a lot of time inside watching movies and
listening to music. Maybe that's why we circulate almost all of our
DVD/VHS video and CD audio holdings to faculty, students, and staff
alike: one week for video and 3-days for CDs, both of which are
renewable so long as no one else has requested it. We also circulate
these items beyond the UW to our Summit partners: http://
www.orbiscascade.org/index/member-institutions We don't ILL beyond
Summit.

Last year we circulated over 110,000 items, which makes us among the
most heavily used collections @ the UW. This past summer we also
moved about 15% of our most popular (and easily replaceable) DVDs out
from closed stacks and into locking cases/browsing racks. This has
seen heavy use, not surprisingly. We also augment these physical
collections with a Netflix for Instructors subscription (which
doesn't see much use) and a pair of computers that let users access
"special" audio and video recordings that have sticky rights-related
issues (i.e., can't circulate outside of the library).

As you can tell, the emphasis at UW is on broad access. Although, as
a former archivist, I am concerned about preserving our rare and
unique holdings, too. A lot of our VHS titles are rare (some even
unique) and our 16mm film collection... well, here's that list:
http://bit.ly/2jWXRO

We've started to selectively digitize vhs and 16mm titles for
preservation/teaching purposes that aren't available for purchase and
for which we can't track down the rights holders (or which UW owns
the (c)). Unfortunately, many of these titles are in poor shape, esp.
the films. These preservation efforts are spotty, at best, but I do
think we will be putting more and more time into these efforts. I'm
really interested to learn more about the Audiovisual Archive Network
(AVAN).

On the subject of expensive PPR-bundled titles...

The State of Washington cut 25% from UW's budget last year. As I
understand it, this is the 2nd highest cut to a public university in
the nation. This year it will probably see more of the same. So, yes,
I'm buying far fewer expensive documentaries and am not able to opt
into expensive pay-per-student licensing deals. Even if I did have as
much money as I did in 2007, I would still be avoiding the latter as
many of these seem excessively complicated and prohibitively
expensive. Two of the digital access pricing models I have opted into
are ASP packages (this was prior to the cuts) and MEF's pay-for-the-
rights outright and post the films yourself approach. I think both
work well. What I want to avoid is a tangled array of licenses such
as our e-serials librarians have to deal with currently.

Anyway, thanks for the threads!

John
_________
John Vallier