Re: [Videolib] Digital bundle thought experiment

From: Linda Tadic <lindatadic@optonline.net>
Date: Sun Nov 15 2009 - 09:14:05 PST

Judy and all,

A service like this is in the works, although its focus is on primary source
archival audio and moving image content held in archives rather than on
published works. Individual documentary makers and video/sound artists can
also provide access to their content through the Library. A few
distributors were interviewed while the business plan was being researched
and written last year. One said that they might consider doing educational
sales through AVAN (libraries/faculty can download and burn a high res file
to DVD for a fee that is returned to the distributor, while within the
subscription site a lower res file would be streamed), so the system is
being built with that function enabled.

The service is called "Audiovisual Archive Network," or AVAN for short. It's
a nonprofit organization that provides both an aggregated library (with
public and subscription sites), and a digital preservation service. The
educational subscription site will offer bundled packages a la the JSTOR
model at tiered rates, depending on organizational type, size, and budget.
There are also individual subscriptions for unaffiliated researchers
(including footage researchers).

Documentary makers can use the site to provide access to their outtakes,
with links to locations where their published works can be obtained if they
choose to not put the entire work online (and also links to where their
outtakes can be licensed).

You can read about the project here: www.archivenetwork.org

Right now we're fundraising to build the prototype, which will be reviewed
and tested by a mix of faculty, librarians, and researchers. Hopefully it
will get started in March/April 2010, with the preservation service launched
summer 2011 and the library in late 2011-mid 2012.

Any input on how AVAN can be built to help you and your users is very much
welcome.

Linda Tadic
Executive Director
Audiovisual Archive Network (AVAN)