Re: [Videolib] A meditation on indie vdeo pricing in an age of fiscalapocalypse

From: Jo Ann Reynolds <Jo_Ann.Reynolds@uconn.edu>
Date: Fri Nov 13 2009 - 13:40:11 PST

Gary,

Weren't vhs and dvd the "media fix du jour" at one time?

And the point was that there are no scribes, typists, or leaches around
anymore because their medium changed. And, pretty soon, the newspapermen
and women will be gone, too. The ephemera they leave behind is something
else and a small subset of future libraries will specialize in it. It's
not just the content makers who need to evolve and change. There will be
a place for archives to hold the paper ephemera of our era but the
modern library will probably not have any paper books in it or vhs tapes
or dvd's.

Will more libraries like the Cushing Academy take the plunge and ditch
their books? It seem like a radical step - now - but what about 20 years
from now?
http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2009/09/04/a_lib
rary_without_the_books/

Gary wrote: "When libraries begin buying heavily into the
pay-per-drink, predominantly just-in-time, use-and-lose mentality, we
might as well all pack it in or hand it over to iTunes and Netflix."

We'd be better off making sure we have delivery systems that our users
want and need and we can do that by being actors in the process and not
just collectors.

Are librarians immune from obsolescence? What if people really start to
prefer to use Amazon to have their books delivered or get their articles
online? What if the indies figure out a great digital standard and a low
cost method of delivering their films directly to the user? What if more
academic publishers like Harvard Business Publishing market directly to
the user and make it easy and cheap for them to get what they want
online and make it hard for libraries to obtain their content? If we
don't become part of the solution iTunes, Netflix, Google and the
Harvard Business Publishers of the world will take our place.

My business is Reserve, it's a library within a library, and our admin
thought at one time that electronic course reserve would replace books
and that DVD's would replace vhs. And now they think that streams will
replace them both. What seems to happen is that a new format becomes the
format of choice for a time and the older formats decrease in frequency
until they are replaced by something better. ECR has replaced putting
paper copies of chapters and articles on reserve. eBooks have not yet
reached the point of replacing the paper book, yet. Streams are
beginning to replace DVD's and vhs's, and it's having a beneficial
impact on teaching and learning. Some of the changes streams make for
faculty here:
- Analogous to a class reading assignment, instructors can assign
students to watch the stream rather than take up class time to screen a
film if it's pedagogically expedient to do so
- Faculty can stream from their courseware site, they don't have
to come to the Library and pick up the DVD
- No more date or locations conflicts with other faculty on the
same or other campuses using the same material.
- Student access is improved, students don't have to queue up to
watch the one or two DVD's owned by the Library they can watch it
anytime anywhere on
      their computer.

We try to respond to what the majority of users want and need to
facilitate learning. Other libraries may have different missions.

What will a library be like 20 year from now? The one I work in has
changed dramatically since 1994 when I started working in it. Fewer
books, more ebooks, print journals close to being replaced by ejournals.
Faculty using more media of all genres to teach in all disciplines.
Students who know less about the organization of a library every year.
Very curious to know what you think your library will be like in 20
years.

If libraries are addressing standards for digital media let's hear more
them on this list.

Are media/communications/IT departments at your addressing format,
distribution, and digital standards, as well as content creation?

This is a time of great change in libraries due to external happenings -
information technology, Google, social networking, digital assets of all
kinds. It's not just libraries who are in the information, or even the
preservation business, anymore.

Jo Ann

Jo Ann Reynolds
Reserve Services Coordinator