Re: [Videolib] A meditation on indie vdeo pricing in an age of fiscalapocalypse

From: Jo Ann Reynolds <Jo_Ann.Reynolds@uconn.edu>
Date: Fri Nov 13 2009 - 10:54:36 PST

I find it truly unfortunate for the future of print and media libraries
that so many of my colleagues in print and media cannot be sufficiently
motivated to contemplate, not just their competition, but their own
obsolescence. Scribes gave way to the printing press, we don't have
stenographers or typists anymore, and most physicians don't use leaches.
Heck, even the military is experimenting with drones. Disciplines and
fields evolve and change. Streams and eprint may appear ephemeral now
but it is very easy to envision them becoming the norm. You won't have
to worry about finding vhs and dvd players in a few more years, you'll
just need the latest software to play someone's proprietary stream
format. But, even if I am way off base and dead wrong, we still should
be able to discuss this topic meaningfully and intelligently and offer
potential scenarios of a future without physical media as the norm,
instead of clinging to what libraries 'were' chartered to do. What if
your mission has to change because external circumstances are forcing
your hand? Are we going to cling to the way things were or should be?
Or, are we going to find ways to be libraries of the future. Talk to the
newspaper industry about the way "news" should be. We should be making
our own future, not reacting to it.

And again, to get your creative juices flowing I recommend you read Clay
Shirky's book, Here Comes Everybody.

Or visit his blog, http://www.shirky.com/

Please share your favorite forward thinking librarians on twitter or
blogs with the group.

Jo Ann

Jo Ann Reynolds
Reserve Services Coordinator