Re: [Videolib] Students paying for access

From: Sandra Macke <Sandra.Macke@du.edu>
Date: Fri Nov 13 2009 - 09:36:07 PST

So you talking about providing access to required material for a course. Would you consider providing access to electronic textbooks or e-books for literature classes for a "small fee." If articles are required for a class, would you provide electronic access to those articles for a "small fee." What would your campus bookstore have to say about that? Have any professors actually made video material a "required purchase" like they would for a textbook? If you are doing a course on Buffy, I would think it's quite reasonable to require students to purchase the whole series for the course. Now maybe campus bookstores have been hesitant to stock video material because students can get them through so many other means.

Now if you are working with the campus bookstore to provide greater access to all course material to the benefit of your students, that's great. But video material should not be singled out because of budget concerns.

Sandy

Sandra Macke
Catalog Librarian
Penrose Library, University of Denver