Re: [Videolib] A meditation on indie vdeo pricing in an age of fiscalapocalypse

From: Sarah E. McCleskey <Sarah.E.McCleskey@hofstra.edu>
Date: Fri Nov 13 2009 - 09:02:09 PST

Gary, they are going to call YOU or me or some other institution that spent money collecting CONTENT instead of spending money for streaming rights when that cost could be spread out among students easily. We talk about convenience of access all the time (especially in regard to the vendors who will happily convert your collection for you and stream it to dorm rooms, because hey, that's a learning environment similar to a classroom so it must be face-to-face, right??).

If the vendors can give the OPTION for students to pay for streaming for a semester, then we don't have to worry about streaming rights, hosting the digital content, etc. We can concentrate our budgets on actually buying stuff that we will have around for a long time (we hope).

Sarah