Re: [Videolib] New topic: video borrowing poliicies

From: Brigid Duffy <bduffy@sfsu.edu>
Date: Thu Nov 12 2009 - 11:36:28 PST

San Francisco State has recently ventured into getting media captioned
for classes with a deaf or hard of hearing student.

Having an existing DVD captioned costs us $5.15 per minute. This
includes contacting the copyright holder for permission, making the
transcript, burning the DVD, all of it. This comes at no cost to the
faculty or their department; our Disability Program Resource Center
covers it in their budget.

But when you spend $309 to caption a one hour video, and then add the
cost of the original item, having a student - or even a teacher -
cover that replacement cost would be something to think about. And we
are.

Brigid Duffy
Academic Technology
San Francisco State University
San Francisco, CA 94132-4200
E-mail: bduffy@sfsu.edu

On Nov 12, 2009, at 10:57 AM, Anthony Anderson wrote:

> Seems to me that the exact same arguments could be applied
> (and were at one time) to the circulation of books. Why the double
> standard when it comes to multi-media material...?
>
> To paraphrase Thorton Wilder's line from The Matchmaker: videos
> are like manure; they're no good unless they are spread around.
>
> And as for a undergraduate checking out a $300 and then losing it:
> should such a scenario transpire, the poor little dear would have
> to pay full replacement costs. Otherwise: no more library privileges,
> no diploma, and no transcripts until bill settled. Fortunately, we
> have yet
> have to impose such draconian punishments and hopefully we will
> never have
> to.
>
> DVDS to the People!
>

> Cheers!
> Anthony Anderson
>
> *******************************
> Anthony E. Anderson
> Social Science and Arts & Humanities Librarian
> Von KleinSmid Library
> University of Southern California
> Los Angeles, CA 90089-0182
> (213) 740-1190 anthonya@usc.edu
> "Wind, regen, zon, of kou,
> Albert Cuyp ik hou van jou."
> *************************************
>

> ghandman@library.berkeley.edu wrote:
>>
>> Why? If you don't care about preserving the cultural record (hey,
>> Zeitgeist Films guy, chill out!), if you you don't care about
>> making your
>> collection available for the maximum number of users WHEN they need
>> it
>> (including instructors who need the stuff ad hoc to teach), if you
>> don't
>> care about sending a $300 video out into the wonderful world of
>> undergraduate pathology...go for it!
>>
>> Gary Handman
>>

>>> On a slightly different tangent: perhaps as a true convenience to
>>> the
>>> students, *they could be just
>>> allowed to check out films to view **outside of the library*. This
>>> is
>>> the basic policy here at USC
>>> with our Leavey Library video collection. Except for a relatively
>>> small
>>> items specifically placed on course reserve, any
>>> student and faculty member can check out any vhs tape or dvd in our
>>> 5000+ collection
>>> for up to three days. This is a policy which has proven to be