Re: [Videolib] Pricey DVDs

From: Dennis Doros <milefilms@gmail.com>
Date: Thu Nov 12 2009 - 11:35:50 PST

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 11:49 AM, Blane Halliday
<bhalliday@collier-lib.org>wrote:

> However, many of the smaller
> distributors produce their DVDs as DVD-R's (or some variation thereof).
> These do not hold up well for mass circulations, and are thus often
> withdrawn earlier in their lifespan than I would like...making their
> increased cost even less of a value to us.
>
> Well, just want to mention that Warner Brothers and other studios have
moved into DVD-Rs for their lesser titles so I wouldn't want to be tarred
just because I am a small distributor. I do suggest buyers should definitely
insist on knowing if a title is DVD-R or DVD before ordering and if the
former is damaged or does not work on your players, that it can be replaced.
And with slumping sales, it could get worse as distributors small and large
strive to cut corners.

In terms of DVDs, I find that smaller companies use the same replicators as
the majors. And god knows we make mistakes but we don't leave out ten
minutes of a film like Lionsgate did with The Dead.

Best,
Dennis Doros
Milestone Film & Video/Milliarium Zero
PO Box 128