Re: [Videolib] New topic: video borrowing poliicies

From: <ghandman@library.berkeley.edu>
Date: Thu Nov 12 2009 - 11:13:49 PST

Books don't go out-of-distribution with anything like the regularity of
video.

Books are fairly durable media, unlike tape and even DVD.

In academic libraries, the central use and mission of the collection is
often to support specific curricula--both classroom use and
course-assigned viewing--which often entails making materials as readily
available on short notice as possible. This function runs counter to
liberal circulation policies, particularly given the common practice of
single-copy acquisitions.

I guarantee that if the average cost of books were $200 and $300 bucks a
pop, circulation policies would shift. (Conversely, if the cost of indie
media were under 100 bucks on average, allowing the practical purchase of
duplicate copies, policies would change).

Gary Handman (who seems to have become the Jeremiah of videodom this week)