Re: [Videolib] Pricey DVDs

From: Blane Halliday <bhalliday@collier-lib.org>
Date: Thu Nov 12 2009 - 09:49:12 PST

Hi All,

As Ralph mentioned, we--as a medium-sized public library on an increasingly
limited budget (with ever-increasing scrutiny on how we spend our dwindling
funds)--similarly find it difficult to justify the purchase the works of the
smaller distributors, even though their content is often very, very good.

And as a public library, where our DVD circulation is quite high,
approaching 50 percent of our overall circulation, it is not uncommon for a
single disc to receive 200-300 or more circulations (I have a copy of 'The
Red Violin' with over 600 circulations!!!). However, many of the smaller
distributors produce their DVDs as DVD-R's (or some variation thereof).
These do not hold up well for mass circulations, and are thus often
withdrawn earlier in their lifespan than I would like...making their
increased cost even less of a value to us.

Blane Halliday
Branch Manager, Vanderbilt Beach Library
Collier County Public Library
788 Vanderbilt Beach Road
Naples, FL 34108
(239) 597-8444