Re: [Videolib] Tiered Pricing

From: <ghandman@library.berkeley.edu>
Date: Thu Nov 12 2009 - 08:33:58 PST

Number of users has nothing to do with ANYTHING, Eileen. The issue is
really market share. The issue of audience size is really just an excuse
to charge all the market will bear. (OK, distributor friends, bring it
on...)

In the case of indie (i.e. non-home video) titles, the number of potential
viewers has no relation whatsoever to potential SALES or revenue. There
seems to be this strange, implicit notion that since a large numbers of
viewers in an institution can view a single copy sold to that institution
for free over time, the price should be pegged to the audience size or
other institutional metrics. That's simply BS. It's not as if anyone
(including faculty)would otherwise run out an buy a personal copy at 300
bucks. The bottom line is that differential (tiered) pricing is done
because market has been willing to support it. Times are changing...

There's simply got to be another model.

Gary

> I am not a big fan of tiered pricing and paying for PPR rights that I do
> not need. My main objection to tiered pricing is that it is not based on
> number of potential users. Right now my institution with a potential of
> 1200 users pays the same as a university with a potential of 10,000 users.
> Also, we are paying more than the local public library that has 5,000
> potential users. If filmmakers borrowed their pricing structure from the
> serial world, I would find it more defensible than the current structure.
> I know this will not help Gary's budget or make more public libraries
> interested in these films, but it would make easier for some of us smaller
> libraries to defend purchases to our administrators.
>

> Eileen Karsten
> Head of Technical Services
> Donnelley and Lee Library
> Lake Forest College