Re: [Videolib] Streaming video or "video on demand" policies at academic institutions

From: <ghandman@library.berkeley.edu>
Date: Thu Nov 12 2009 - 08:23:22 PST

Sure:

Streaming is not really a preservation standard...in fact there ARE no
digital video preservation standards at all. Streaming might, on the
other hand, be a stop-gap in cases where, say, you have a tape that's
falling apart and you want to do SOMETHING to preserve it for the short
term. This could as easily be copying to DVD, but streaming is also a
(highly unsatisfactory) expedient to keep the thing on life support.

OK?

Gary