Re: [Videolib] Tiered Pricing

From: Karsten, Eileen <karsten@lakeforest.edu>
Date: Thu Nov 12 2009 - 07:50:10 PST

I am not a big fan of tiered pricing and paying for PPR rights that I do not need. My main objection to tiered pricing is that it is not based on number of potential users. Right now my institution with a potential of 1200 users pays the same as a university with a potential of 10,000 users. Also, we are paying more than the local public library that has 5,000 potential users. If filmmakers borrowed their pricing structure from the serial world, I would find it more defensible than the current structure. I know this will not help Gary's budget or make more public libraries interested in these films, but it would make easier for some of us smaller libraries to defend purchases to our administrators.

Eileen Karsten
Head of Technical Services
Donnelley and Lee Library
Lake Forest College