Re: [Videolib] A meditation on indie vdeo pricing in an age offiscalapocalypse

From: Jessica Rosner <maddux2014@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Nov 11 2009 - 18:07:36 PST

That goes both ways. When I was at Kino I hated that stuff. A straight W-9
was easy enough but sometimes there were insane forms from some school
ordering one $30 video. I once had an infamous run in with a state school in
California because I refused on principle to sign the
form assuring them it was a drug free work place and the librarian got
nasty. I told her just to return the video but luckily it was just about the
only Kino film NOT available retail so she was stuck. Also a problem for any
company that DOES do retail business in addition to selling to institutions
is states now insisting your REGISTER AS A BUSINESS in the state. This is
crazy and caused Kino at least to reject certain orders in NJ. Registering
as a business in each state would subject the company not only to charging
tax on consumer orders but to audits which is nuts.