Re: [Videolib] A meditation on indie vdeo pricing in an age of fiscal apocalypse

From: Jessica Rosner <maddux2014@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Nov 11 2009 - 13:04:58 PST

It is not a question of how good a film is but level of interest in the
subject matter. As I mentioned in the previous the vast majority of public
library video collections contain a very tiny number of independent films
and most probably contain ZERO independent films that can not be bought
through a wholesaler. If an independent filmmaker has to sell the film
wholesale he/she makes about 50% of the sale price. They just can't afford
to make films if the return is $5-7 thousand dollars for a film they may
have spent 2 years on. I have no magic solution but as I am now working
closely with a filmmaker who only gets to survive if she can sell her
film(s) for about $400 each I understand very well how tenuous the current
situation . Maybe filmmakers can try those weird auctions where the price
goes down for each person willing to buy an item so a copy of a documentary
on the situation of gays in Russia starts at $25.000 and for each
institution or person that agrees to buy a copy the price goes down so when
you get 1000 different buyers they can all get it for $25 each. Of course
everyone has to agree before the film is manufactured or shipped so don't
think that will work.