Re: [Videolib] A meditation on indie vdeo pricing in an age offiscal apocalypse

From: GODIN, CHRISTINE <cgodin@alamo.edu>
Date: Wed Nov 11 2009 - 09:09:47 PST

I am buying the Wiseman film for $400. I have to admit that if they had
not advertised a home video price of $29.95, I probably would not have
balked so much. Isn't there any middle ground? I checked WorldCat to see
who and how many libraries own this particular film (Wiseman's
Hospital). It is less than a dozen. May I suggest that we are
potentially a good market but there would be more library sales if the
DVD cost $100-$150. I don't expect to pay just a nominal amount for a
documentary. I understand that they are costly to produce and have
limited audiences. But the filmmakers surely want to get the most
coverage and biggest audience they can, right?

We buy many titles in the $250-$300 range from places like Bullfrog,
Media Education Foundation, etc because of their quality and the fact
that our faculty want and use them. I even have ponied up for the
ultra-expensive corporate training videos (now there's a whole 'nother
story!) because our workforce development department can use them for
revenue generation or professional development right here on campus.
When a title is desired but rather esoteric and will be shown once or
twice a year to a classroom of 24 students, I cringe a little at the
multi-hundred $$ price.

Christine Crowley Godin

Dean of Learning Resources

Adjunct Faculty, Theatre