Re: [Videolib] AMIA conference in St. Louis

From: Stanton, Kim <Kim.Stanton@unt.edu>
Date: Wed Nov 11 2009 - 08:16:31 PST

The AMIA conference was great. There was a really healthy dialog all week between those with the means and the gall to shoot for a new online Library of Alexandria (i.e. Internet Archive, etc) and others with less financial/staff support and a stricter interpretations of how access can be provided . And lots of helpful technical information of AV formats, transfer services, open source access and management system, techniques for promoting your collections, etc.

I recently become responsible for figuring out how to digitize and best provide access to a donated 16mm collection - the conference and the AMIA listserv have been so helpful. I can now clean film by hand without totally destroying it and have intimate working knowledge of an Elmo (!).

If you're digitizing any of your older formats or just trying to figure out how to care for materials without tossing them out - go go go!

Kim Stanton
Digital Media Librarian
Media Library
University of North Texas