[Videolib] AMIA conference in St. Louis

From: Dennis Doros <milefilms@gmail.com>
Date: Tue Nov 10 2009 - 19:04:06 PST

Since I wrote a depressing email, I thought I should send an optimistic one
as well. The Association of Moving Image Archivists held their annual
meeting in St. Louis last week and there are an incredible number of smart,
talented and enthusiastic students and young archivists out there. I am
always amazed at how the profession has changed for the better over the
years and how the field is attracting the best and the brightest. Better
yet, most of the talk is about more and better access and even among the
studios there is positive thoughts about this. Warner Brother's DVD-R system
is just the start of what could be a better future. And there's a lot of new
ideas in the preservation and restoration of audio-visual material.

Another positive, AMIA's Advocacy Committee will be writing on issues that
will impact the future -- such as the quality of DVDRs and the industry's
promise of "forever." As AMIA's new publicist (I volunteered), I'll be
posting these on Videolib for people to consider.

And I was so happy to see a videolib representative in Kim Stanton! Kim, I'd
love to hear what you thought of the conference and how it pertains to your
job.

--
Best,
Dennis Doros