Re: [Videolib] A meditation on indie vdeo pricing in an age of fiscal apocalypse

From: Dennis Doros <milefilms@gmail.com>
Date: Tue Nov 10 2009 - 18:53:28 PST

Dear Gary,

Talk about a vicious cycle! Budgets are down so fewer DVDs can be bought
which means prices have to be kept high. We are such a long way from Lyndon
Johnson's education funds for A-V materials in the 1960s that we have
reached rock-bottom and still sinking. The answer, I'm afraid, might be
fewer films of quality, fewer filmmakers making a living, fewer
distributors, and of course, a perceived lack of need for A-V curators since
"everything is on the web." AT THE SAME TIME, my old boss at Kino always
said that the film business has always been in cycles and we just may be too
shortsighted at any point to see the curve up or down. For all of our sakes,
let's hope we rise up!

Personally, I'm really, really sorry for your position. You're one of the
good ones.

Best,
Dennis

--