Re: [Videolib] science movie night - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

From: Elizabeth Sheldon <elizabeth@lorberhtdigital.com>
Date: Tue Nov 10 2009 - 08:15:21 PST

Science titles from the BBC:

Darwin: The Life and Legacy

Part one this BBC portrait of Charles Darwin focuses on his early life
and influences tracing his maturation as a naturalist from his birth
in Shrewsbury, England to the publication of his key work the Origin
of Species. To provide a contextual base for Darwin’s revolutionary
ideas, the program examines his key influences including Thomas
Malthus and Robert Edmund Grant as well as his life changing
experience as the ship naturalist on the HMS Beagle. Featuring Darwin
Biographers Janet Browne, James Moore, and Adrian Desmond as well as
noted scholar Robert M. Young, the program will provide students with
the personal and historic background key to understanding the work and
life of Darwin.

Part two of this BBC portrait of Charles Darwin focuses on the legacy
of his theories on evolution and the implications of his writings.
Using Natural Selection as a starting point, the program explores the
often contentious implications of Darwin’s work including: Eugenics,
Group Selection, Sociobiology, Evolutionary Psychology and
Coevolution. While Darwin’s theories are central to these ideas, they
each provide a basis of discourse on the far-reaching implications of
what evolutionary thought can teach us about human nature. Featuring
New York Times Best-seller Richard Dawkins (Oxford University), Adrian
Desmond (University College, London), Robert Trivers (Rutgers
Univerity), Edward O. Wilson (Harvard University), Stuart Kauffman
(Santa Fe Institute), and others, the program provides an academic
primer for discussions on the implications of Darwin’s still
controversial work.

Total run time: 100 minutes

What Darwin Didn't Know

Honoring the 150th anniversary of the publication of Darwin’s
revolutionary, Origin of Species, this BBC special confirms how the
advance of science has exonerated Darwin’s theory of evolution.
Challenged by his peers such as Richard Owen, and criticized by
skeptics, such as Fleeming Jenkin, Darwin acknowledged the
inconsistencies in his initial theory. He appealed to future
generations to draw inspiration from his findings and to solve the
challenges with which his controversial theory was riddled. Scientists
such as August Vicemon, Gregor Mendel, Ronald Fisher, Bill Hamilton
and Ernst Haeckeland used Darwin’s theory to give us new scientific
fields, tools and understanding of the natural world. What Darwin
Didn’t Know will provide students with an historical understanding of
Darwin’s world and his legacy to future scientists who embraced
Darwin’s heretical ideas to give us modern science.

Total run time: 90 minutes

What Time Is It?

Do we really know what time it is? CERN physicist Professor Brian Cox
(and author of E=mc2) unlocks the secrets of time in this entertaining
and informative program. His journey starts with the Sun, our
historical dictator of time, but Brian discovers that the world
doesn’t always spin like clockwork – in fact, it flutters, like an
irregular heartbeat. In his search for a more reliable way to tell
the time, he experiences the physical definition of a second with a
cesium atomic clock, then jets across the Atlantic to discover that
time can speed up or slow down depending on how near an object is to a
strong gravitational field. Still looking for answers, he consults
modern ideas like string theory and quantum mechanics that are
pointing the way to future breakthroughs. Time dictates what we do,
when and for how long. In What Time Is It?, Brian Cox deepens our
understanding of time while stirring the depths of our imagination.

“I can think of no one, Stephen Hawking included, who more perfectly
combines authority, knowledge, passion, clarity and powers of
elucidation than Brian Cox. If you really want to know how Big Science
works... and why it matters to each of us in the smallest way then be
entertained by this dazzlingly enthusiastic man. Can someone this
charming really be a professor?”

--Stephen Fry

Total run time: 50 minutes

Best,