Re: [Videolib] zipporah pricing

From: Jessica Rosner <maddux2014@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Nov 09 2009 - 13:32:18 PST

Again I think it varies by distributor/filmmaker but yes of course
independent filmmakers do assume universities can and should pay more than
say $25 for a dvd BECAUSE that is really their main market. Obviously if
they sold only 50-100 copies of a film at $25 they would simply be unable to
make films. Clearly it is a delicate dance and a main reason why
independent filmmakers and distributors feel their very existence threatened
by things like illegally copying VHS to DVD or streaming without permission
etc. Obviously a teacher has to decide if a particular work is worth the
price, I mean if it is only one time for 10 students that is a lot of money
if however it is 50 students or 25 students every year it really isn't. The
problem is when a specialized film with no retail market is viewed in the
same context as a standard feature film available on Netflix. One thing I
always remember is that schools routinely bring in speakers for anywhere
from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars a pop. This is a fairly normal
event but the concept of paying a few hundred dollars to a filmmaker for
their work is in some cases viewed as a rip off. Again this is a matter of
both degree and specific situation but I think it is important to
differentiate films made almost entirely for the educational market from
ones that have a broader market and distribution. Again my dividing line is
Netflix/Amazon. A film made available there
is at retail pricing and no institution without a special need for PPR,
streaming etc should pay more for it but films which rely on the more
limited
educational market are by necessity going to cost more and librarians and
professors have to figure out which ones are worth it to them.