Re: [Videolib] zipporah pricing

From: Jessica Rosner <maddux2014@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Nov 09 2009 - 12:33:00 PST

Christine et al.
There are shades of 'multi-tier" pricing and this kind of situation does not
upset me ( well of course I am not a librarian). To the best of my
knowledge Zipporah controls all sales directly as opposed to also being
available on Amazon or other retail sites and this is also the director's
own company so he obviously gets all the money directly. In this case since
they do sell everything themselves they are free to set their own rules. I
don't know how the individual sale is set up but if it states in the
ordering that it is for home use /individual purchase only this would
constitute an implied contract and at least in theory they could sue if it
were used in a class. Realistically it would be highly unlikely they would
find out but I suspect Wiseman might be pretty pissed off. I think this is
different from a case where a film is made widely available ( Amazon and
other retailers) but the distributor more or less insists that institutions
pay a higher price when for instance they go on the companies web site. My
feeling is that once someone decides to after the consumer market by
allowing 3rd party sales they can't control it and it is deceptive to imply
that all or even most institutions need PPR rights. Again Zipporah is pretty
unusual in being 100% run by the the filmmaker and in having films that have
a significant appeal to individuals ( as opposed to my mythical documentary
about a lesbian basic weaving co-operative in Bolivia which I use as an
example of films for which there is only an institutional market)
These has always been my view ( you will notice Kino always had PPR
available for an additional fee but only upon request of user) but full
disclosure I am now working with a director whose set up is very similar to
Wiseman's. Anne Aghion has been working on a series of documentaries about
the Rwandan genocide for over a decade and she now has made 4 films on what
is known as Gacacca ( a type of community trial/reconciliation). She too
sells them directly though unlike Wiseman she does not offer to sell them to
individuals at least on the web site. What she will do is respond directly
if someone e mails her who really wants a film but is obviously not in a
position to pay institutional prices. She vets the person and if it is for
sincere home use she may sell them a copy at home video price but again she
does this on her own and by request and would never sell to an academic.
Basically like many independent filmmakers she needs the money generated
from the institutional sales ( one price FYI not different prices for
different sizes or types) to survive. Her films will not be on Netflix,
Blockbuster etc. They are in my opinion really great films which should have
a broader audience but realistically if they were sold at retail prices she
would be out of business.
Sorry for the long answer but again I think there are different kinds of
multi-tiered pricing and I am loath to lump in independent directors who may
choose to make some copies available to individuals with those trying to
imply that even if a title is made available in the retail market
institutions should pay more for rights they rarely need and certainly are
not required to have.