Re: [Videolib] science movie night - suggestions welcome

From: <ghandman@library.berkeley.edu>
Date: Mon Nov 09 2009 - 12:10:13 PST

Howz bout the unparalleled

The Way Things Go (Der lauf der dinge)
Sometimes called "the merry pranksters of contemporary art," Swiss artists
Peter Fischli and David Weiss have built, inside a warehouse, an enormous
precarious structure 100 feet long made of common household items -- tea
kettles, tires, shoes, balloons, wooden ramps. etc. Then they create a
spectacular self-destructing performance which applies the principles of
cause and effect, gravity, chemistry, water, gas propulsion and vector
propagation to produce the chain reaction. c1987. 30 min.

gary

> We're planning a science movie night series for our library screening
> room. I welcome your suggestions for films that are informative but
> entertaining, able to draw a crowd, and with a clear science focus. This
> can involve anything from documentaries such as Planet Earth to
> science-related films such as Inherit the Wind. We will of course always
> procure PPR for screenings.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jeff Pearson
> University of Michigan Ann Arbor