Re: [Videolib] The Daily Bitch

From: jwoo <jwoo@cca.edu>
Date: Fri Nov 06 2009 - 12:14:31 PST

I'm coming late to the conversation, but I very much appreciate
Joel's approach. I don't mind paying a little bit more for the
"educational rights" but not when it's an order of magnitude or more.

An interesting recent example of pricing differences is Kiki Smith
Squatting the Palace (Nov 24 release)

 From Microcinema: $23.95 home use; $150 educational

 From Amazon: $45 (older edition); $29.95 (Nov 24 release)
http://amzn.com/B0010Z642C
http://amzn.com/B002TN269E

For the record, my library does not allow group viewing of videos
unless we have purchased PPR. Student groups are specifically
forbidden from having video screenings unless they've secured the
rights, which they do pay for when needed.

I fully support the idea that libraries should be able to purchase at
the home edition price if the video is not going to be shown to
groups (aside from under TEACH provisions). We should not be made to
pay a higher educational or institutional price just because we're
libraries.

Janice
CCA Libraries

p.s. some of my best friends are independent filmmakers so I
understand the economics