Re: [Videolib] History of PPR... College/University film societies?

From: Shoaf,Judith P <jshoaf@ufl.edu>
Date: Thu Nov 05 2009 - 05:00:14 PST

Thanks, Dennis.

Fragile was the wrong term for 16mm. "High-maintenance" was maybe what I meant. The films needed to be stored, handled, and projected properly, and examined after use for possible damage and repaired in a timely way. This involves responsibility and training, as well as facilities, that are unusual for DVDs and VHS (though we have the story of the Netflix scrutineers who check every disk that comes back visually). This was justified not only by the monetary value of the physical film but also, as you say, by the fact that if it was taken care of it would last a long time.

Judy