Re: [Videolib] Phedre -- play by Racine

From: Brewer, Michael <brewerm@u.library.arizona.edu>
Date: Wed Nov 04 2009 - 10:39:49 PST

The Alexander Street Press Theatre in Video database has a streaming version, but I am not sure if you can just pay per view with them:

[cid:image001.gif@01CA5D43.7F840170]<http://arizona.ativ.alexanderstreet.com/video/details/track/3221365623>[cid:image002.gif@01CA5D43.7F840170]<http://arizona.ativ.alexanderstreet.com/video/details/track/3221365623>
Video
Phèdre (1987)
Directed by Pierre Cardinal
Antenne 2, Paris, France, 1975-1992
Featuring Alice Sapritch, Christian Brendel & Maud Rayer
Written by Jean-Baptiste Racine, 1639-1699
Date opened: 1987

Liner Notes: Here is a spectacular French production of Racine's great play that treats the classical past with respect while demonstrating its continued, living interest. If it was the playwright's goal to show people as they are-not as they ought to be-then this performance represents French classical drama at its most moving, with equal attention to the language itself, the lavishness of sets and costumes, and the passion and appropriateness of the acting.

Michael Brewer
Team Leader for Undergraduate Services
University of Arizona Library
brewerm@u.library.arizona.edu<mailto:brewerm@u.library.arizona.edu>