Re: [Videolib] VHS to DVD for classroom use?

From: Gail Fedak <gfedak@mtsu.edu>
Date: Wed Nov 04 2009 - 08:04:22 PST

JoAnn,
What you do before IT pulls the plug is work with your most frequent faculty
users to let them know that when the VHS players in their rooms die, you
have no control over getting a new or refurbished machine back into their
classroom. They'll pursue a discussion with you on their own at that point -
and word spreads. You may want to contact your faculty senate president to
explore this issue. If you want to pursue a conversion project, you will
need to contact each and every copyright holder for permission to convert
your VHS collection to DVD. We converted as much of our 3/4" collection to
VHS as we could get permission to do so in the early '90s. We had few, if
any, feature film titles in the collection at that time, and they were not
included in the conversion project. When asked, many of the major
educational distributors granted us permission to transfer formats. Some
said we could purchase a VHS version at greatly reduced prices, some at
moderately reduced prices, some at no price reduction at all, and some just
said no. Needless to say it was not rocket science to figure out which ones
we were going to keep in 3/4" at that time. That project took over 3 years
and involved the director, secretary, cataloger, and a GA devoted only to
that project. No small cost on our part. Since then, we have had a handful
of independent distributors give us permission to transfer from VHS (and 1
35mm filmstrip) to DVD if we would provide them a copy of the DVD. Obviously
they did not care to invest their production dollars in making the transfer
themselves. See Jessica's comments on cost incentives! I highly suspect if
you present the number of VHS titles you have in your collection to your IT
department and tell them that you will pursue getting permission for the
university to convert them to DVD (or digital files) if they will (1)
provide all the materials and labor to convert formats when permission is
received, (2) cover the cost of your personnel's time to upgrade catalog
records, labels, and shelving, and physically destroy the VHS once the
successful dubbing is complete, and (3) explain to faculty why their
favorite titles were not ready yesterday, they would sing a sightly
different tune.
Good luck with your project,
Gail

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~