Re: [Videolib] VHS to DVD for classroom use?

From: Jo Ann Reynolds <Jo_Ann.Reynolds@uconn.edu>
Date: Wed Nov 04 2009 - 07:56:17 PST

Hi Merle,

I was only dealing with our Library IT department, not the campus folks
who run the high tech classrooms, so they were a little closer to home.
I did run a report for our collections staff showing all vhs titles used
on reserve in the past two years with circulation stats and asked them
to start replacing the ones with the highest circulation, a few every
year, so we could be a bit proactive about this. Of course, not all will
be available on DVD and we will seek permission to stream those if we
can. Next step for us is to let the high tech classroom folks know about
usage before they decide to strip those classrooms of vcr's. Perhaps
you could speak with your University's counsel and do some consciousness
raising on this issue with their backing. I've also worked with our
ethics and compliance office this year to put a segment on copyright in
the mandatory training everyone, including faculty, gets. Best of luck.

Jo Ann

Jo Ann Reynolds

Reserve Services Coordinator

University of Connecticut