Re: [Videolib] College/University film societies?

From: Jessica Rosner <maddux2014@gmail.com>
Date: Tue Nov 03 2009 - 22:58:41 PST

Funny you should mention TOP HAT. There was a time when prints of TOP HAT
and various other titles owned by WB/UA were in fact sold
for "life of print" to the mainly mom and pop distributors that used to
exist. If you happened on one of those puppies or someone who had a copy you
could in fact show it non- admission in a non theatrical setting for as long
at it would run though a projector. Again most of these were sold to
distributors who did ask for rentals. As for Cinematheques,MOMA etc that has
always been a tricky issue. For the most part they don't pay because
distributors need material or favors from them but a museum without such
connections would have to pay. The closest thing to situation you are
suggesting would be the 16mm prints sold to libraries which the libraries
could then loan to various non profit and community groups for non admission
showing but MOST of those leases forbade libraries from loaning the prints
to universities because the companies did not want to lose that revenue
stream. As Dennis mentioned the Universies could and did buy there own
prints in which case they could of course use them for such shows. Ah for
the good old days of 16mm.