Re: [Videolib] Comments from this august group re: College/University film societies

From: Jessica Rosner <maddux2014@gmail.com>
Date: Tue Nov 03 2009 - 10:17:43 PST

Interesting but I suspect that any half way clever distributor could "catch"
a group like that deliberately trying to cheat. Sooner or later the college
newspaper or some other party ends up listing the event on line or it gets
mentioned in a public newsgroup etc. I used to catch screenings that way in
the old days and of course they would all insist that it was "just a
classroom" or "educational" even if it was clearly known and anyone who
wanted could come. I am sure no one here imagines such "groups" are checking
IDs of "registered" members. The worst ones were of course using films that
had not been released on DVD, they just snagged imports or bootlegs.